Recently i have developed a problem where i want to buy piper EVERYTHING. i am constantly thinking of things i want to get her because "she would love it" or "it would be so cute" or whatever. and i'm not just talking your regular clothing purchase or the occasional toy.
Things i wanted to buy for piper today:
-a potty chair that looks like a princess throne (check)
-big girl underwear to motivate her to use the princess potty (check)
-stickers for bribery (check)
-skinny jeans (didn't buy any today....because i ordered her some yesterday)
-baby doll (again, didn't buy today because i ordered her one yesterday...for her birthday...or valentine's day, if it gets here on time, which i doubt it will)
-coloring books
-entire set of 6-inch sesame street plush dolls...at 9 dollars a pop.
-a trip to disney world
-minnie's masquerade dvd
-books
-other books
-a sparkly purse
-more stickers
-full-priced clothing
-expensive hair bows
-hooded towels
-converse tennis shoes
-frye boots
-christmas pajamas for next year (check)
-new bedding set
there were many, many more things that i can't remember right now.
anyway, it is weird. i mean i've always enjoyed shopping, especially for piper, but i feel like now that she has preferences and recognizes and likes certain characters, i am even MORE inclined to want to buy everything in sight. luckily i have shown SOME restraint (and would hardly ever dream of buying her...or myself...or anyone...full-priced ANYTHING). i mean, notice all the things that DON'T have (check) next to them...
I have come to the conclusion that they put characters on things not just to make PIPER want more stuff, but to make ME want more stuff FOR her...like this mickey mouse clubhouse look-and-find book i got for her....which she loves.
i guess a potty chair and accessories aren't too big of a luxury purchase. plus if they teach her to not use so many diapers, it will actually be a real money-saver.
so that leaves jeans (not so bad i guess, when you consider she currently has one pair of jeans that fit her properly) and the doll (which is just cute, and which i paid 6 dollars for...including shipping, and which is know she will love!!!)
ok i don't feel so bad about the stuff we DID buy, just about all the stuff i WANTED to buy. oh well. she DOES have a birthday coming up...she probably won't be getting that trip to disney world...but maybe a coloring book...and maybe even some more stickers, if she's lucky.
2 comments:
i have the same problem...but mostly to buy stuff for myself :)
good luck with the potty training!
Ha ha - I have the same problem with my kids (especially Joss) but then I have to remind myself that a (not-quite) two year old doesn't really even care what she has. Sure she has some preferences, but... really? I mean, are we going to have an absolute meltdown if I don't buy her something that I probably want for her more than she wants it herself? Yeah, if we do, we've got bigger problems than spending problems :)
Mostly I want to buy stuff for my kids because /I/ want them to have it... like I want to buy my almost 4 year old an ipond nano (the new touch ones). Because he likes music... but still. Really?
If we do, though, we'll probably buy one on ebay or something :)
Post a Comment